Thursday, September 17, 2015

I LIKE GETTING READY FOR HALLOWEEN

With Fall approaching and bringing with it the Halloween season, I decided to dust off this blog again. I am going to try to cover all the horror movies I watch this season. Every year I rev up for All Hallow's Eve with weeks and weeks of horror movies. This year should be no different! I already started, inadvertently, by catching Motel Hell the last week. So let's get the 2015 Spooky Views underway!


Motel Hell is a cult classic that I appreciate more as an older viewer than I did as a teenager. It's also the second most notable aspect of Rory Calhoun's career (number one, of course, is being Mr. Burns' gold standard of someone/something standing and walking).

Back in my collecting days I used to have a great "big box" version of this movie on VHS put out by MGM. I grabbed it from an old video store's stock based solely on the art work. At the time, I was too preoccupied with the unbelievability of the love story between Farmer Vincent and Terry and I didn't see the camp and the humor as much as I do now. There are parts of this movie that feel like John Waters-doing-Tobe-Hooper. It's just so weird that it's appealing.

Rory Calhoun's Farmer Vincent and his sister Ida (played with grinning insanity by Nancy Parsons) run the Motel Hello but the pesky neon "O" at the end of their sign keeps flickering out. They also sell Farmer Vincent's Fritters and assorted smoked meat products. They are just so tasty! What could his secret ingredient be? "It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters!"

The ending still hold up. The iconic image of this movie is that of Farmer Vincent wearing a pig's head and wielding a chainsaw. If you see that picture on the back of a VHS you need to rent that bad boy!

Meat's Meat and Man's Gotta Eat!


It was better than I had remembered and both Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons seem to be having such a fun time that it draws you in to the weird world of the Motel Hello. I am leaving out a lot of the strange details but just check it out. I think the less you know, the more perplexing and enjoyable your viewing will be. My arbitrary rating today is three and a half Rory Calhouns out of five.



This is one I've seen a million times and it never gets old. The zombies look great, the gore is fantastic, bleak humor permeates, and it's got a great soundtrack. And, if the internet is to be believed, it was Return of the Living Dead that introduced the concept of the brain eating zombie to our wonderful world. It's so strange to think that before 1985 zombies never cried out into the night for delicious brains.

It's a classic. Arbitrary rating: 13 graveyard ghoulies out of 13!



I had actually never seen It's Alive before so this was a treat. Basically a woman gives birth to a horrible monster-baby with claws and fangs. I think the best thing about this movie is that everyone gets onboard immediately. After the birth the delivery room is full of dead doctors and nurses and the baby is missing. There is blood everywhere. People have been mauled. And everybody's first thought is: hey, this must be the work of some hideous monster baby. No one thinks that maybe some crazy murderer stole the baby or any number of other possible scenarios.

John P. Ryan really digs into his role as the father of this abomination. Ryan really won me over with his villainous turn in Death Wish 4: The Crackdown. Ever since I saw his performance in that my interest is always piqued when I spot him in something I am watching.

I enjoyed this as a trashy low budget late night shocker. I will definitely be seeking out the sequels as well. I've got to find out what further adventures and hijinks a deformed monster-baby can get himself into. Today's arbitrary rating gives It's Alive 462 baby fangs out of 689.



Most likely due to the enormous success of Mad Max: Fury Road, Wyrmwood is being marketed as "Mad Max meets Zombies." that description kind of works. It's definitely fun if you like action heavy zombie movies. It feels kind of like two movies pieced together, and since it was filmed over four years on weekends that may actually be the case. It is an impressive example of perseverance, ingenuity, and desire by creative filmmakers. There are some great stylish flairs and unique moments. Overall very fun but it's missing something that I haven't quite been able to put my finger on. I'll arbitrarily rate it 8 zombie mouth farts out of 11. Check it out!

Let's see if I can keep this up. Hopefully I'll check back in soon with some more. I am definitely ready for the Fall to get here. I need some crunchy leaves underfoot.

No comments: